Terms of Reference (ToR) Vacancy Social Media Manager
The Somalia Gender Hub is a recently established local knowledge network located at the intersection of theory and practice which aims to inform, build and advance research and knowledge on gender in Somalia. We aim to build a comprehensive and robust compilation of country-wide statistics and data and a central reference point which would allow for quick data access and comparative analysis. This would enable a better understanding of the scope and nature of gender issues, allow for targeted interventions by government, international organizations and civil society, and enable monitoring and tracking of progress at both a local and national level. We work to build a field of thinking and practice by taking innovations to an ever-widening community of individuals, organizations, movements and teaching institutions committed to building cultures of equality. One of the core programs of the Hub is to focus on the development of an online Somalia Gender Hub which will bring, under a central online platform, data and information from a range of stakeholders on gender and women’s empowerment in Somalia, through:
- Making available research, news, interviews and personal stories focusing on gender equality and women’s rights in Somalia.
- Providing access to training materials, resources such as funding and scholarships as well as other tools related to research, gender and women’s rights.
- Providing online mentoring and coaching for female students and women.
- Holding (online) events to bring together women researchers, bloggers and journalists in Somalia.
- Building a directory of organizations and researchers working on gender and women’s rights in Somalia.
The Hub is looking for a Social Media Manager. As the Hub’s Social Media Manager, you will be instrumental in the implementation of an engaging social media strategy and action plan that will deliver virtual, participant-driven content. Your work will strengthen bonds with our current communities and bring new audiences to our website and resources. The Social Media Manager will maintain The Hub’s presence on various social media platforms and help create and publish content that is relevant to our communities. He/she will regularly analyze and report on the activity on social media networks and website. The appointment duration is 6 months with a possibility of extension.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Update Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram accounts.
- Respond to posts or comments to bring value to the user’s interactions with the Hub.
- Research articles, stories, resources, or other content that is relevant to our communities and post it to our Facebook and Twitter page in a manner that invites conversation and interaction.
- Grow the Hub online social networks by increasing user base and interactions.
- Maintain current information on our website and LinkedIn accounts.
- Complete other social media projects as assigned.
- Use Google Analytics to assess trends and activity on the Hub website.
- Review data on the performance of social media platforms and adjusts plans or strategies to optimize reach.
- Develop a social media strategy, guide and action plan for staff to take over work.
- Administrate the creation and publishing of relevant, original, high-quality content on The Hub website.
- Coordinate with the Director and the team in managing the blog page on the Hub site.
- Create a regular (or automatic) publishing schedule on SM platforms.
- Plan specific, timely campaigns across all platforms in line with current events and trends.
- Promote content through social media campaigns (reviewed and changed on weekly-monthly basis dependent on analytics results).
- Manage the creative side and analytics side of campaigns and demonstrate this through results.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The ideal candidate will show a strong interest in gender, preferably with a University degree that reflects this interest. S/he must be social media savvy. Must be proactive and have a strong desire to enhance Internet presence. Must be comfortable working in a virtual environment.
- Creative self-starter who is comfortable with both taking initiative and working in collaboration in a virtual environment.
- Detail oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Social Media applications, basic photo-editing and video-editing software, and internet browsers. Experience with Photoshop and WordPress is a plus.
- Familiarity and facility with mainstream social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Proofreading and editing skills.
- Ability to create, compose and edit written materials.
- Ability to write simply with a conversational style.
If you have demonstrated experience and knowledge using social media and if you are interested in gender justice and international development, please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible. The position will remain active until filled. Download the file here